Subj:      Chitty Surname
Date:     98-03-02 20:01:55 EST
From:     jchitty1@texas.net (John Chitty)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

Hopefully this is going to the Rapides Parish mailing list.
I am looking for any information on Chitty's in Rapides
Parish. Aplin Earl Chitty moved to Rapides Parish around
1860 with his wife Eliza H. Butler.  Also looking for information
on Sirman's.  Zadie Sirman Married Seaborn Webb Chitty abt.
1888 in Rapides Parish.  Any information on these families will
be greatly appreciated.
Very Best Regards,
John Chitty
http://jchitty1.home.texas.net

Subj:      Re: LARAPIDE-D Digest V98 #1
Date:     98-03-09 03:50:19 EST
From:     lynn.bill.king@pdq.net ( Bill King)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

Date:     98-03-09 00:18:09 EST
From:     graay@popalex1.linknet.net (Greg Aymond)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

      I am new to this list and wanted to list the Rapides Parish surnames I
am researching.

        Aymond, Holloway, Baker, Cannon, Cripps, Clark, Goff and Thornhill.

        Thanks for any info...........

Subj:      Mary Catherine Clark
Date:     98-03-23 13:47:35 EST
From:     jewell@brightok.net (Jewell Kennedy)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

I am looking for parents or siblings of the Mary Catherine Clark below she
married in this Parish
Thanks
Jewell
Descendants of Mary Catherine Clark

 1   Mary Catherine Clark b: in Orleans Parrish LA d: 1880 in Johnson n Co.
TX
..  +Issac Newton Greer b: January 23, 1847 in Union Parrish LA. d: April
30, 1934 in Iowa Park, Wichita Co.TX, Beaver Creek Cemetery m: July 30, 1865
in Rapides Parrish, Alexandria LA.
.... 2   John Greer b: February 24, 1867
.... 2   Salena Greer b: October 29, 1868
.... 2   Docia Greer b: May 15, 1870
........  +K. S. Atkinson   m: December 22, 1884 in Wise Co. TX.
.... 2   Smith Greer b: July 25, 1871
.... 2   Zebedee Lutherford Kenton Greer b: June 15, 1873 in E. Baton Rouge,
Baton Rouge.LA.
.... 2   Fee Lona Greer b: January 16, 1875 in Baton Rouge La d: 1920
........  +Andrew Levi Kennedy b: 1870 in Pine Bluff AR. d: 1945 m: January
26, 1892 in Decatur, Wise Co. TX.
.... 2   Willie Greer b: April 18, 1876
.... 2   George Greer b: November 18, 1878
.... 2   Thomas Greer b: September 29, 1880

Subj:      Donna H. Kelley Obit
Date:     98-03-29 19:35:59 EST
From:     LaFamTree@aol.com (LaFamTree)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

Donna H. Kelley
Alexandria Town Talk, Mar 29, 1998

Services for Donna Hendricks Kelley will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the chapel
of Hixson Bros. with the Rev. Bill Broadwater officiating. Burial will be in
National Cemetery, Pineville. Mrs. Kelley, 70, of Alexandria died Saturday,
March 28, 1998, in Sisters of Charity St. Frances Cabrini Hospital. She was a
member of Baptist Temple and a 50 year member, past matron and secretary of
J.T. Charnley Chapter No. 197. She was also a member of Order of Eastern Star
and a retired legal secretary for Gold Law Firm.

Survivors include two sons, Richard Kelley of Stuarts Draft, Virginia, John
Kelley of Alexandria; five daughters, Karen Kelley of Alexandria, Vickie
Harford of Andover, Ohio, Debora Fichtner of Rowlett,Texas, Cynthia Chastaine
of Alexandria, and Rebecca Holmes of Clarks; two brothers, Kenneth Hendricks
of Waterloo, Iowa and Donald Hendricks of Slidell; one sister, Mary Nicholson
of Rantoul, Illinois; 15 grandchildren and five great- grandchildren. Friends
may call from 4-9 p.m. Monday and from 8 a.m. until time of services Tuesday
in the funeral home.

Memorials may be made to American Heart Association, 1605 Murray Street, Suite
109, Alexandria, La. 71301.

Subj:      Gertrude Barron Reid obit
Date:     98-03-29 19:37:40 EST
From:     LaFamTree@aol.com (LaFamTree)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

GERTRUDE BARRON REID
Alexandria Town Talk, March 29, 1998

Services for Gertrude Barron Reid will be at 2 p.m. Monday in the chapel of
Hixson Bros., Pineville, with the Revs. Johnny Tarver and Carl Norris
officiating. Burial will be in Greenwood Memorial Park. Mrs. Reid, 81, of
Alexandria died Saturday, March 28, 1998, in Oaks Care Center, Pineville. She
was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church; a native of Barron and a
former employee of Ben Franklin and Lerner's Shops. Survivors include one son,
Clarence A. Reid Jr. of Pineville; two sisters, Stella Barron Fredieu of
Pineville and Janie Barron Tarver of Libuse. Friends may call from 4-9 p.m.
today and from 8 a.m. until time of services Monday in the funeral home.

Subj:      Ben Lee Phillips Obit
Date:     98-03-29 19:59:39 EST
From:     LaFamTree@aol.com (LaFamTree)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

Publication Date: November 01, 1990
Source: The Baton Rouge Morning Advocate
Page: 9-E

Region: Louisiana
Obituary: PHILLIPS, BEN LEE
Died 11:45 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31, 1990, at Jennings American Legion
Hospital. He was 76, a native of Glenmora and resident of Jennings for 53
years. He served in the U.S. Navy as a gunnery officer during World War II. He
was a graduate of Glenmora High School, Louisiana Tech, and did graduate work
at LSU. At Jennings High School he served as assistant football coach and
science teacher and later as head football coach. He was associated with Gulf
Oil Company for 30 years. Visiting at Miguez Funeral Home, Jennings, 4:30 to
8:30 p.m. Thursday, with the recitation of the rosary at 6:30 p.m. Thursday,
and 8 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Friday. Mass of Christian Burial at Our Lady Help of
Christians Catholic Church, Jennings, 2 p.m. Friday, conducted by Msgr. Joseph
A. Bourgue. Burial in Calvary Cemetery, Jennings. Survived by wife, Marie
Manouvrier Phillips, Jennings; a daughter, Mrs. John David (Emily) Ziober,
Baton Rouge; a son, Paul B. Phillips, Pico Rivera, Calif.; two sisters, Mrs.
Beulah Anderson, Denham Springs, Mrs. Connie Gates, Pollack; and two
granddaughters, Leslie and Rachel Ziober, Baton Rouge. He served as president
of the Jeff Davis Parish School Board for eight years and as a member for 20
years. He was named outstanding citizen of Jefferson Davis Parish, an annual
award given by the Welsh newspaper. He was elected a four year term on the
Jennings city council, serving from 1981-1985. He was a member of Our Lady
Help of Christians Catholic Church, where he served as a Eucharistic minister,
and was an active member of the Kiwanis Club, where he held many offices.

Subj:      KING
Date:     98-03-18 19:31:59 EST
From:     Purvisweb@aol.com (Purvisweb)
To:  larapide-l@rootsweb.com

Researching ancestors of William Taylor KING - moved to Rapides Parish post
1900 - originally from MS according to census records.

Know to have lived outside of Pineville in a community KINGSVILLE, which
residents acknowledged was named for him.

Would appreciate any information which you have to connect to KING ancestors.

Thanks

B. Webb
purvisweb@aol.com

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] Fire Destroys Mill at Ball
Date:     98-03-30 12:03:54 EST
From:     LaFamTree@aol.com (LaFamTree)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

Misc: Fire Destroys Mill at Ball, Rapides Parish, Louisiana
Source: The Alexandria Daily Town Talk, July 22, 1914
Submitted by: Gaytha Thompson

FIRE DESTROYS MILL AT BALL

Sweet Home Lumber Company Loses Entire Plant

Occurred Yesterday at 4 P.M.

Damage was $90,000, Fully Covered by Insurance in the Chase & Gremillion
Agency

Fire was Caused by a Hot Box

The Sweet Home Lumber Company sawmill, lumber yards, and office, located at
Ball, La., on the Iron Mountain Railroad, eight miles north of this city, was
totally destroyed by fire at 4 O'clock yesterday afternoon.  The plant was the
property of the J. F. Ball & Bro. Lumber company of this city.

The fire was caused by a hot box of some of the machinery situated under the
mill, which caused sparks to ignite inflammable material nearby.  Two men who
were standing within ten feet of where the fire originated, turned and got a
couple of buckets of water, but before they could get to the flames, the fire
had commenced burning so fiercely, that they were driven away by the heat.

The fire spread rapidly from the mill proper to the lumber yards & office all
of which were totally destroyed.  The commissary, which was on the opposite
side of the railroad tracks was not burned.  A box car of lumber standing on a
side track was destroyed and the ties of the railroad track for quite a
distance were burned out and the steel rails twisted out of shape by the heat,
on account of which the southbound passenger train due here at 10:30 p.m. did
not arrive until 3 a.m. today.

The damage was $90,000 and was fully covered by insurance int he Chase &
Gremillion Agency of this city.  Three million feet of lumber on the yards was
destroyed.

Mr. J. F. Ball, of this city, states that the mill will be rebuilt at once.

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] Mary Catherine Clark
Date:     98-03-30 12:33:26 EST
From:     jewell@brightok.net (Jewell Kennedy)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com (Rapides Parish)

Well
I've lost a grandmother and we all want all we can find nowadays.They tend
to help tell us who we are.
This one is very E-lusive , I know she had parents and probably siblings,
but wow I can't find them.
So if anyone recognizes my one and only Mary Catherine, please get in touch
,anything and I will be E-lated
Thanks'

Jewell Kennedy
Descendants of Mary Catherine Clark

 1   Mary Catherine Clark b: in Orleans Parrish LA d: 1880 in Johnson n Co.
TX
..  +Issac Newton Greer b: January 23, 1847 in Union Parrish LA. d: April
30, 1934 in Iowa Park, Wichita Co.TX, Beaver Creek Cemetery m: July 30, 1865
in Rapides Parrish, Alexandria LA.
. 2   John Greer b: February 24, 1867
. 2   Salena Greer b: October 29, 1868
. 2   Docia Greer b: May 15, 1870
.....  +K. S. Atkinson   m: December 22, 1884 in Wise Co. TX.
. 2   Smith Greer b: July 25, 1871
. 2   Zebedee Lutherford Kenton Greer b: June 15, 1873 in E. Baton Rouge,
Baton Rouge.LA.
. 2   Fee Lona Greer b: January 16, 1875 in Baton Rouge La d: 1921
.....  +Andrew Levi Kennedy b: 1870 in Pine Bluff AR. d: 1945 m: January 26,
1892 in Decatur, Wise Co. TX.
. 2   Willie Greer b: April 18, 1876
. 2   George Greer b: November 18, 1878
. 2   Thomas Greer b: September 29, 1880

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] Willis/ Gunter
Date:     98-04-02 07:02:21 EST
From:     pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

I am looking for information on Willis and Gunter surname of Alexandria La.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tammy DeSoto Pearson
pearsonb@datastar.net

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] Gunter / Willis
Date:     98-04-02 07:22:41 EST
From:     pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

I would appreciate any information on the following families.

Descendants of Dan Willis

 1   Dan Willis
........ 2   Henry Elwa Willis
............  +Sallie Duplissey
................... 3   Clarence Ivey Willis
.......................  +Sophie Gunter 1896 - 1970 b: August 07, 1896 d:
March 1970 (my grt. grandparents)
....................3   Kit Carson Willis 1905 - 1994 b: May 08, 1905 d:
March 25, 1994
.......................  +Bonnie Mae Deville
................... 3   Frank Willis
................... 3   Elbert Willis

I have some nice pictures of most of the above listed.

Tammy DeSoto Pearson
pearsonb@datastar.net

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] Sarah D. Cannon
Date:     98-05-04 09:24:07 EDT
From:     graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

       Seeking info. on the spouse and descendants of Sarah D. CANNON, b. in
the 1830's to Samuel H. Cannon and Margaret E. Joyner.  The family was in
Rapides Parish by 1850, in the Ruby area. Her known brothers were: Samuel
Thompson; Charles E.; Thomas Green D.; and John George. I cannot track her
after 1860 in Rapides Parish.  Thanks............

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] GOFF Girls
Date:     98-05-04 09:24:08 EDT
From:     graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

     Looking for the spouses and descendants of sisters Ida and Allis (Alice)
GOFF. In 1870 they were living with their brother Charles, and their mother,
Columbia, in the home of their mother's 2nd husband, William Henderson Smith,
in Winn Parish.  After 1870, the family moved to the Ruby area of Rapides
Parish.  It is possible that these 2 girls took the surname SMITH as their
own, although their brother Charles kept GOFF.  Most of their family are
buried in the Philadelphia and Craig Cemetaries, but I cannot find Ida and
Allis.  Thanks for any help.

Subj:      Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Sarah D. Cannon
Date:     98-05-04 11:30:09 EDT
From:     Pugthree@aol.com (Pugthree)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

Try Vernon Parish. Vernon became part of Rapides in 1872.

Subj:      Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Sarah D. Cannon
Date:     98-05-04 12:02:54 EDT
From:     rnw9e@unix.mail.virginia.edu (Robyn Nicole Webb)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

do you happen to know if charles cannon married?  and if he
did, do you know who he married?  i'm related to a charles
cannon from around the same time period, and i was wondering if
he was the same person you mentioned.  please let me know!
thanks!

sincerely,
robyn webb

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] Willis, Gunter, and DeSoto
Date:     98-05-04 12:29:26 EDT
From:     pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

I am looking for any one who has relations or info. to Willis, Gunter, and
DeSoto of Rapides Parish La.
Will appreciate any help.
Tammy DeSoto Pearson
pearsonb@datastar.net
Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately
degenerate into hard work.
If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort.

Subj:      [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Douglas & Savage Families
Date:     98-05-04 13:48:40 EDT
From:     lost@lightspeed.net (linda ost)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

Hi Everyone:

I am the granddaughter of William Lewis Asbery Savage and Ethel Willie
DOUGLAS.  They were married in 1904 in Rapides Parish.  The Savage family
had lived in Rapides Parish since 1862.  William's parents were John Wesley
Savage and Elizabeth Jane PENDERGRASS.  John and Elizabeth had the following
children:  Sarah b. 1859;  George N. b. 1860;  John Wesley Jr. b. 1866;
James P. b. abt 1867 -1869;  Tusetta b. 1872;  Wade b. abt 1875;  Mordella
"Jack" b. 1877 and William Lewis Asberry Savage b, 1879.  All of the
children except Sarah were born in Rapides Parish.

William and Mordella Savage married sisters from the DOUGLAS family.  The
Douglas family consisted of James Monroe Douglas who married Elisabeth
REYNOLDS  their children were:  Buelah, Nora, Ethel, Myrtle, June and Lloyd.
 June and Lloyd used the surname Evans after their mother married Fred
Evans.  Some of the Douglas family may be living in St Laundry Parish today.

Thanks,

Linda

Subj:      Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Sarah D. Cannon
Date:     98-05-04 16:35:10 EDT
From:     donstevens@chrysalis.org (Don Stevens)
To:  LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com

I have a cousin, Caroline (PAUL) CANNON of Grena married a Junior CANNON
in Pineville many yrs ago!
Believe his family is still in Pineville.
donstevens@chrysalis.org

  Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] HOLLOWAYs Date: 98-05-09 16:59:28 EDT From: graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Looking for any descendants of, or anyone with info. on, John and James HOLLOWAY (sometimes spelled Hollaway) of the early 1800's Deville and Holloway Prarrie areas of Rapides Parish. I believe that one of their daughters married into the Paul family, one son was named Thomas and another daughter married Henry Harmon and moved to Catahoula Parish. Thanks for any info. Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Rapides Parish, La. SIBLEY Date: 98-05-09 17:49:03 EDT From: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson) Reply-to: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian/Tammy Pearson) To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I am trying to make contact with cousins. Victor Paul Sibley son of Henry Sibley and Mary Lou DeSoto. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tammy DeSoto Pearson pearsonb@datastar.net Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work. If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort. Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-15 17:17:34 EDT From: CEYLMY@aol.com (CEYLMY) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Looking for information on TEXADA family Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-15 19:15:59 EDT From: KB5CX@popalex1.linknet.net (Ed Crump Jr) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com At 05:16 PM 5/15/98 EDT, you wrote: >Looking for information on TEXADA family > >Dear CELMEY - Like what? There are, and have been *many* Texada's around Rapides Parish for a *long* time. Any particular name - any particular time period? Who are you trying to get information on? Please let us know, and we will do what we can to help you. Ed in Rapides Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-15 23:57:32 EDT From: TreSearch3@aol.com (TreSearch3) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Don Manuel de Gregerio TEXADA ? Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-16 01:29:39 EDT From: Slcnorman@aol.com (Slcnorman) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has a wealth of information on the Texada name from Louisiana. A few members of the church have researched the name and submitted it to the church's genealogical files. There is one located in Alexandria, Louisiana and quite a few members are TEXADA decendants. Stacey Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-16 01:42:02 EDT From: Slcnorman@aol.com (Slcnorman) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com In a book titled General Leroy Augustus Stafford His forebears and descendants by Dr G.M.G.Stafford on page 126 Pleasance Hunter, sixth child of Pleasant Henderson Hunter and Martha Kitchen, married Lewis Emanuel Texada, son of Captain John A. Texada and grandson of Manuel Garcia de Texada (of Castile, Spain). Their children were Lewil Manuel Texada, Willie Frank Texada, John Augustin Texada, Lucy Texada, Susan Pleasance Texada, and Minnie Texada. The last mentioned married Judge Leven L. Hooe. There is another book titled The Wells Family of Louisiana and Allied families by Dr. G.M.G. Stafford that lists about ten pages on the Texada line. Another book that has more of the Texada genealogy is Three Pioneer Rapides Families A Genealogy by George Mason Graham Stafford. It lists approximately ten pages that are different from the other two mentioned. If you are interested in the information, please e-mail me privately. Stacey Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] please help Date: 98-05-16 11:55:07 EDT From: thewalls@lcc.net (Karen and/or Mike Wall) Reply-to: thewalls@lcc.net To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Hello, I am looking for several family names in Rapids parrish. Some of the names and dates I already have are as follows: STANLEY's : John Payton Sr. & Jr., Franklin, Elizabeth, Margaret p., Henry Clay, Robert, Carroll, Sarah, Amos, daniel, dock, Emily, Amanda, Hypolite, Annie, etc.... BASS: Moses, Jeanne, Jane, WINDHAM: William Moses, Nathaniel, harriet, Elizabeth, Jeanne And Maybe, NELSON: George or Sarah CORDER: Elizabeth If anyone has any info that may be related, I would appreciate it. thanks Karen W. Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-16 16:27:58 EDT From: CEYLMY@aol.com (CEYLMY) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I am trying to get information on an Irvin Texada who was married to Martha Jane Williams. I am trying to determine who was the father and mother of Irvin. We have information that Irvin's father was named DODGE. Cannot locate any information on a Dodge Texada. Alledegely Irvin Texada was buried in 1939 or 1937 on McNutt Hill Cemetery. Thanks Lillie Texada Young and Charles Young Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-16 16:31:50 EDT From: CEYLMY@aol.com (CEYLMY) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com PLEASE SEND ME ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE ON THIS FAMILY OR TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND THESE BOOKS. THANKS Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] 8th Louisiana, Company H Date: 98-05-17 09:56:00 EDT From: jchitty1@texas.net (John Chitty) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Does anyone have information on the above Company from the Civil War. I have a record that contains the following: A.H. Chitty (Allen H. Chitty) Co. H (Cheneyville Rifles) 8th Regiment Louisiana Infantry. Appears on a "Record" of the organization named above, from (illegible), 186_. Record dated: In the trenches, March 16, 1865 This is the last record I can find on Allen H. Chitty. Were the Cheneyville Rifles at the battle of Petersburg on the above date? Is there a list of who died from the 8th in the battle of Petersburg? Any help appreciated. Regards, John Chitty Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: LARAPIDE-D ANDERS Date: 98-05-17 13:01:24 EDT From: genestockton@cheerful.com (Eugene Stockton) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Does anyone know anything about Eliza Jane ANDERS, b. abt 1855 in old Forksville, LA. Allegedly d/o Taylor ANDERS. She married Haywood A. E. HATHAWAY and had 10 children in Rapides Parish. She was my g-grandmother, but I have found no other information on her parents, siblings, etc. Marge Stockton
Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-18 22:41:35 EDT From: Slcnorman@aol.com (Slcnorman) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com The books written by Dr Stafford can be found at Claitors Bookstore in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The store is located near LSU campus on Perkins or Acadia. Good Luck, Stacey Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-18 22:44:03 EDT From: Slcnorman@aol.com (Slcnorman) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com There isn't an Irvin Texada listed in the Stafford books. Stacey Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] infor Date: 98-05-19 22:51:03 EDT From: cjackson@freewwweb.com (Chuck Jackson) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com CEYLMY wrote: > > Looking for information on TEXADA family There is quite a bit of info on the Texada family in Alexandria, Louisiana. Check with the Central Louisiana Genealogical Society located in Alexandria. As I recall, the Texada family goes all the way back to the Spanish fort located near Natchitoches, Louisiana. Chuck Jackson St. Louis, MO cjackson@freewwweb.com Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: LARAPIDE-D Digest V98 #12 Date: 98-05-23 13:22:28 EDT From: readman@rocketmail.com (Joel Readman) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Does anybody have any information on the Readman family living around Alexandra, La: Peyton E. Readman (My dad), and Samual C. Readman (My grand-dad). My dad was born in Alexandra on May 31, 1888, and the family was river boat captain and pilots on the Mississippi and Red Rivers. Thanks JOEL _____ Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: LARAPIDE-D Digest V98 #12 Date: 98-05-23 19:52:37 EDT From: peyton@beasuccess.com (Robert Peyton) Reply-to: peyton@beasuccess.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Joel Readman wrote: > Does anybody have any information on the Readman family living around > Alexandra, La: Peyton E. Readman (My dad), and Samual C. Readman (My > grand-dad). My dad was born in Alexandra on May 31, 1888, and the > family was river boat captain and pilots on the Mississippi and Red > Rivers. > Thanks > Bob Peyton wrote: Joel, I hope I have interesting news for you. The Readmans' are in my family tree. Here are a few notes. 1 Samuel C. Readmon Birth: Rapides Spouse: Sarah (Sadie)_(Sallie) Miriam Peyton (my dad's sister) Birth: Aug 1857, Rapids Parish, La Father: Charles Pemberton Peyton_Sr. (1820-1860) Mother: Amelia Caroline Decker (1838-1904) Marr: 24 Feb 1877, N. O., Presp., Church Children: Peyton Everett (1887-) Honor Emerick 1.1 Peyton Everett Readmon Sr. Birth: 12 Dec 1887 Spouse: Adalade Simmons Birth: 1894 1.2 Honor Emerick Readmon (I copied one page off my report.) I have a lot of information in my files. I use the Reunion, and Family Tree Maker Genealogy programs. I have them on PC and on Macintosh. I also am searching for information on the Peytons'. Maybe we can exchange information. Please contact me. You will also want to contact my cousin, Jeanne Taconi. She has been in genealogy for years and has a lot of documentation. She met Sam Readmon some years ago. If you wish to contact her she would appreciate it. She is expecting it. Her phone number is 504.297.6258. Ger email is ctaconi113@aol.com. If you need any of my information I am sure we can transfer it. We have five computers around here. Bob Peyton --------------------------------------------------------------------- Robert K Peyton peyton@beasuccess.com The Success Center, Inc. (504) 887-2620 http://www.beasuccess.com --------------------------------------------------------------------- Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Stanley family Date: 98-05-23 20:28:41 EDT From: thewalls@lcc.net (Karen and/or Mike Wall) Reply-to: thewalls@lcc.net To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I am looking for information on the STANLEY family of Rapides Parrish. The first Stanley that I have found was John Payton Stanley Sr. (born est. 1790-1800) in Cork Co. Ireland. He married Sarah Nelson born in Opelausus LA. I have found 8 children born to this couple, John Payton jr. b.6-17-1829, Franklin b.1831, Elizabeth b.12-1832, Margaret Peggy b.1837, Henry Clay b.1848, robert b.1839, Carroll b.1845, and Sarah b.1850. There son John jr. married amanda (bundick) I have been told but not able to confirm so far. and later sophia Johnson. I do have various marriages and other dates, but if there is anybody else out there connected to this family, I would love to hear from you. Thanks Karen Wall Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] LAYSSARD Date: 98-05-26 23:25:54 EDT From: graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Seeking information as to the spouse of and date and place of marriage of Commandant Layssard of late 1700's Post Du Rapide. Any info. on his widow and her family would be appreciated. I suspect that she was an AYMOND. Thanks................... Greg Aymond........ Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] LAYSSARD Date: 98-05-28 01:14:47 EDT From: graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com -----Original Message----- From: Slcnorman To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Date: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 10:34 AM Subject: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] LAYSSARD Stacy, thanks for the information. Greg Aymond.......... Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Pineville, La. Rapides Parish Date: 98-05-28 14:35:00 EDT From: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson) Reply-to: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian/Tammy Pearson) To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Joseph (Joe) DeSoto was a policeman in Pineville, La. (1915) and had a shoot out with Tom David (pronounced Dah-veed). Joseph got hit in the leg by David. Does anyone have any record of this event. I would be grateful for any info about Joseph DeSoto and family. It might be found in Alexandria Daily Town Talk. Tammy DeSoto Pearson 90 Two Hollows Rd. Carriere, Ms. 39426 pearsonb@datastar.net Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Joel Readman Date: 98-05-29 04:53:16 EDT From: CTaconi113@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Please advise if you receive this message. I have info re. Peyton E. Readman and Samuel C. Readman. My E-mail is ctaconi113@aol.com Waiting for your reply, Jeanne. Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Greenwood, Mayer Date: 98-06-06 11:11:05 EDT From: bgreenwd@eatel.net (Bobby Greenwood) Reply-to: @eatel.net To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Looking for information on Henry GREENWOOD from Pineville,LA. He was believe to have married Lucyinda Greenwall ?. He had son, Coleman GREENWOOD who later lived in Lake Charles. Coleman married Florence Mayer, daughter of Bernard MAYER. Also Henry had a daughter named Betty. Henry was shown in the 1860 census as a merchantile store owner. It is beleived that he died about October 1865. Would like to find name of wife, parents for Henry, and as much data on the family as is available. Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Greenwood, Mayer Date: 98-06-07 00:45:48 EDT From: cjackson@freewwweb.com (Chuck Jackson) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Bobby Greenwood wrote: > > Looking for information on Henry GREENWOOD from Pineville,LA. He was > believe to have married Lucyinda Greenwall ?. He had son, Coleman GREENWOOD > who later lived in Lake Charles. Coleman married Florence Mayer, daughter > of Bernard MAYER. Also Henry had a daughter named Betty. Henry was shown in > the 1860 census as a merchantile store owner. It is beleived that he died > about October 1865. Would like to find name of wife, parents for Henry, and > as much data on the family as is available. Hopefully this might help in gaining more information on the family. The following is from the book, "Fourscore and Eleven", by Rabbi Martin Hinchin, Pgs 181-182. The death of Coleman Greenwood in Lake Charles occurred on February 4th, 1918. He was 56 years old. Coleman Greenwood was a native of Pineville. His parents died when he was three years old and he was reared by Mr. and Mrs. Mires Rosenthal. He was a bookkeeper by occupation and followed this vocation the greater portion of his life since attainng his majority, although he had been at different times engaged in the mercantile business. He resided in Alexandria, Pineville, at Loyd's Bridge in Rapides Parish, and also in Oakdale. He moved to Lake Charels about 1915. About twenty-eight years previous to his death he married Florence Mayer, daughter of Bernard Mayer, and that union brought forth six daughters and two sons, who with their mother survived him. They were: Mrs. A. L. Levy of Rodgers, Texas; Mrs. Bertha Runte of Lake Charles; Misses Udith, Minnie, Alerine, Viola, Henry and David Greenwood - all of Lake Charles. The funeral took place in Lake Charles and those attending were: Mr. and Mrs. Gus Gehr, Mr. and Mrs. Morris Weinberg and Mr. Henry Aaron. As an additional note, Mr. and Mrs. Mires Rosenthal were my g-grandparents. Also, there are many other "Greenwood entries" in the book. Charles (Chuck) Jackson cjackson@freewwweb.com St. Louis, MO (formerly of Alexandria) Subj: [Fwd: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Greenwood, Mayer] Date: 98-06-07 00:53:09 EDT From: cjackson@freewwweb.com (Chuck Jackson) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Received: from bl-30.rootsweb.com (bl-30.rootsweb.com [207.113.245.30]) by mx1.freewwweb.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id AAA28770 for ; Sun, 7 Jun 1998 00:55:33 -0400 (EDT) Received: (from slist@localhost) by bl-30.rootsweb.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) id VAA15129; Sat, 6 Jun 1998 21:45:26 -0700 (PDT) Resent-Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 21:45:26 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: <357A29E2.2D18@freewwweb.com> Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 23:49:22 -0600 From: Chuck Jackson X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01-C-NSCP (Macintosh; I; 68K) MIME-Version: 1.0 Old-To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Subject: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Greenwood, Mayer References: <199806061510.KAA26232@noc1.eatel.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Resent-Message-ID: <"fCpWw.A.GsD.lrhe1"@bl-30.rootsweb.com> To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Resent-From: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Reply-To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com X-Mailing-List: archive/latest/54 X-Loop: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Precedence: list Resent-Sender: LARAPIDE-L-request@rootsweb.com Bobby Greenwood wrote: > > Looking for information on Henry GREENWOOD from Pineville,LA. He was > believe to have married Lucyinda Greenwall ?. He had son, Coleman GREENWOOD > who later lived in Lake Charles. Coleman married Florence Mayer, daughter > of Bernard MAYER. Also Henry had a daughter named Betty. Henry was shown in > the 1860 census as a merchantile store owner. It is beleived that he died > about October 1865. Would like to find name of wife, parents for Henry, and > as much data on the family as is available. Hopefully this might help in gaining more information on the family. The following is from the book, "Fourscore and Eleven", by Rabbi Martin Hinchin, Pgs 181-182. The death of Coleman Greenwood in Lake Charles occurred on February 4th, 1918. He was 56 years old. Coleman Greenwood was a native of Pineville. His parents died when he was three years old and he was reared by Mr. and Mrs. Mires Rosenthal. He was a bookkeeper by occupation and followed this vocation the greater portion of his life since attainng his majority, although he had been at different times engaged in the mercantile business. He resided in Alexandria, Pineville, at Loyd's Bridge in Rapides Parish, and also in Oakdale. He moved to Lake Charels about 1915. About twenty-eight years previous to his death he married Florence Mayer, daughter of Bernard Mayer, and that union brought forth six daughters and two sons, who with their mother survived him. They were: Mrs. A. L. Levy of Rodgers, Texas; Mrs. Bertha Runte of Lake Charles; Misses Udith, Minnie, Alerine, Viola, Henry and David Greenwood - all of Lake Charles. The funeral took place in Lake Charles and those attending were: Mr. and Mrs. Gus Gehr, Mr. and Mrs. Morris Weinberg and Mr. Henry Aaron. As an additional note, Mr. and Mrs. Mires Rosenthal were my g-grandparents. Also, there are many other "Greenwood entries" in the book. Charles (Chuck) Jackson cjackson@freewwweb.com St. Louis, MO (formerly of Alexandria) Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Leftwich Family Date: 98-06-07 16:38:29 EDT From: sjschol@ibm.net (sidney scholl) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Brothers William & Samuel S. LEFTWICH from Bedford Co., VA, were in Rapides Pr. in 1850 census. Wlm then unmarried and Samuel S. shown with wife Mary from TX, dau Eliza b. TX 1842, dau Octavia b. LA 1844, and son Wlm b. LA 1846. William LEFTWICH married Medora (or "Dora") BROWN abt 1850 in Rapides, they had dau Mary Ella b. 1851 and son Wlm Austin b. 1853. In 1857 Samuel S. sold five slaves which had been deeded to he and bro Wlm by their grandfather in VA. The sale was by deed passed before notary for Calcasieu Pr., Charles A Hardy, on 7 Mar 1857, to Elisha McWilliams of Rapides Pr., who immediately sold them on 10 Mar 1857 to Thomas Mumfort Wells. (The Calcasieu act, of which no record has been found, was cited in the transaction between McWilliams and Wells) The family connection of these brothers to their VA family, although implied by other records, was proven by these deeds which named the five slaves involved. William may have been deceased by 1857, he and Medora's children Mary Ella & Wlm Austin were orphaned and in New Orleans by 1867, they both got married there in 1875. Nothing is know about what happened to Samuel S. & Mary or their children. Samuel S. served in Co K, 19th La Inf "Anacoco Rangers" (Sabine & Rapides) in 1861 & 1862 and was discharged at New Orleans, Dec 1862. Would be most grateful to hear from anyone who may have encountered information about this family. Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Genealogy Search Date: 98-06-07 23:04:04 EDT From: Kelly.Vaughn2@gte.net (KellyKelly Vaughn) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I am searching for information on my great grandparents and great great grandparents. Their names were George Andrew Holland and Beulah May Long. I need George Andrews parents names and their marriage date. George Andrew was also known as Andrew George in the family Bible. It is documented that they resided in Rapids Parish and that G.A.Holland was buried somewhere in the Parish cemetaries. I would also like information on that. He was supposed to have died while working in Sugartown. Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Dousay Family Date: 98-06-08 07:06:55 EDT From: BDousay433@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I have traced my Grandfather G.C. Dousay back to his birth in 1892 but I have nothing on his Father John C. Dousay or Grandfather Laziene Dousay. If anyone has info on this, please let me know or tell me where I can look. thanks, Bobby Dousay Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Dousay Family Date: 98-06-08 08:04:10 EDT From: TreSearch3@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Bobby, Just be sure and also look at the spelling of DOUCET Pronounced the same way, but would be coded differently in the Soundex you would need to look at for 1900 to find G.C. at home with his parents. DOUSAY, code D200; DOUCET, code D-230 Good Luck ! Houston Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Genealogy Search Date: 98-06-08 11:07:41 EDT From: lawrence@datasync.com (Harold L Lawrence) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Andrew G. HOLLAND, 4 Aug 1854/12 Oct 1912, is buried in the Butter Cemetery along with Edward HOLLAND 11 Apr 1882/19 Jan 1963; Jerry Lou HOLLAND 27 Jul 1891/13 Jul 1905 daughter of A. G. & B.M.HOLLAND; Martha Huldia HOLLAND 7 Sep 1889/26 Nov 1963, daughter of George & Beulah M. HOLLAND; Mrandia [sic] HOLLAND died 9 Mar 1909, 61 years. The Butter Cemetery is located in the Forest Hill area off LA Hwy 497 off the Butter Cemetery Road. harold lawrence Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Harold L. Lawrence Date: 98-06-08 11:25:35 EDT From: lynn.bill.king@pdq.net (Lynn & Bill King) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Harold, Are you related to the Lawrence, Wagner & Bagley families of Alexandria and Pineville ? My wife is a Bagley. And I attended school with Rapides District Atty, Charlie Wagner (younger brother was Rand Wagner-attended Menard). Also, my father (Bill King) worked at the Pineville Post Office for many years with Louis Willie Lawrence, Jr. Any connection, Harold ? Bill King, now of Houston, but raised in Pineville. Graduated Bolton-1953, Louisiana College- 1960 Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Harold L. Lawrence Date: 98-06-08 11:39:54 EDT From: delaney@mcia.com Reply-to: delaney@mcia.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com This is all I have on LAWRENCE (at the end). I am sending this about her in-laws, the JOHNSONS, in case you might have some knowledge of this name. I am also researching: DELANEY from the Pineville area (1850's to present) & ADAMS from the Caldwell Parish area. Any help appreciated. Sharon MARTHA ANN ADAMS, born Dec 1842 in Alabama. She married Jacob Johnson 5 May l864 in Caldwell Parish, Louisiana. He was born June 1844 in Alabama. They resided in Clairborne Parish in 1880 and in Webster Parish in 1900. They had the following children, all born in Louisiana: 1-Jasper N. Johnson, born about 1865. 2-Mary L. Johnson, born about 1868. 3-Joseph E. Johnson, born about 1871. 4-Laura A. Johnson, born about 1873. 5- 6-James Walter Johnson, born Dec 1880. He married about 1907 to Lillie Lawrence, born about 1889 in Louisiana or Mississippi. She was the daughter of ? Lawrence and Mary C. ? , born about 1858, Louisiana. James and Lillie resided in Caddo Parish in 1910 and 1920. They had the following children, all born in Louisiana: 1.Lawrence S. Johnson, born about 1908. 2.Mary H. Johnson, born about 1913. 3.James Walter Johnson, Jr., born about 1914. 4.Will L. Johnson, born about 1917. 5.Georgia M. Johnson, born 1919. -------------------- This is all I have on LAWRENCE (at the end).  I am sending this about her in-laws, the JOHNSONS, in case you might have some knowledge of this name.  I am also researching:  DELANEY from the Pineville area (1850's to present) & ADAMS from the Caldwell Parish area.  Any help appreciated.  Sharon MARTHA ANN ADAMS, born Dec 1842 in Alabama.; She married Jacob Johnson 5 May l864 in Caldwell Parish, Louisiana.; He was born June 1844 in Alabama.; They resided in Clairborne Parish in 1880 and in Webster Parish in 1900.; They had the following children, all born in Louisiana: 1-Jasper N. Johnson, born about 1865. 2-Mary L. Johnson, born about 1868. 3-Joseph E. Johnson, born about 1871. 4-Laura A. Johnson, born about 1873. 5- 6-James Walter Johnson, born Dec 1880.; He married about 1907 to Lillie Lawrence, born about 1889 in Louisiana or Mississippi.; She was the daughter of ? Lawrence and Mary C. ? , born about 1858, Louisiana.; James and Lillie resided in Caddo Parish in 1910 and 1920.; They had the following children, all born in Louisiana: 1.Lawrence S. Johnson, born about 1908. 2.Mary H. Johnson, born about 1913. 3.James Walter Johnson, Jr., born about 1914. 4.Will L. Johnson, born about 1917. 5.Georgia M. Johnson, born 1919. ; Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] BONIOL/BONIAL FAMILY REUNION Date: 98-06-09 23:17:12 EDT From: mboniol@upper-cumberland.net (Mike Boniol) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com The Boniol/Bonial family reunion will be held Saturday, June 13, 1998 at the Best Western located at 2720 MacArthur Drive in Alexandria, Louisiana. It will start around 9:00 a.m. Lunch will be around 12:00. Everyone is asked to bring a covered dish. The progenitor of the Boniol/Bonial family in the United States was Pierre (Peter) and Anne Merchiol Boniol. They had two children, Louis Boniol and Marzalie E. Boniol. Marzalie married John C. Marsh. They both resided in Rapides Parish, Louisiana. All descendants, spouses and children are welcome to attend. Family members are encouraged to bring pictures, family Bibles, etc. and share their genealogy. A descendant chart will again be displayed on the wall. mboniol@upper-cumberland.net Visit the Cumberland County Genealogy Page: http://www.upper-cumberland.net/users/mboniol/ Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] ANDRIES, VANDEGAER, LAWSON, ROUGEAU Date: 98-06-11 12:14:55 EDT From: PEhlers531@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I am seeking descendants of the above mentioned families. I have information to trade. My lines are: Gaspar Vandegaer = Johanna Brouweer Marie Teresa Vandegaer = John (Jan) Andries (buried in Many, La.) Daniel Andries = Mary Lawson, daughter of Robert W. Lawson and wife #2 Florentine Rougeau, daughter of Severin Rougeau and Florentine du Porcuna of Natchitoches. Would love to hear from relatives out there. Phyllis Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Descant query Date: 98-06-11 16:43:42 EDT From: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson) Reply-to: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian/Tammy Pearson) To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I would appreciate any information about Pierre Descant Albert Descant Angela Descant ???Descant (female) ???Descant (female) M.D. Descant Who were their parent and descendents? Tammy DeSoto Pearson pearsonb@datastar.net Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Descant query Date: 98-06-11 16:47:12 EDT From: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson) Reply-to: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian/Tammy Pearson) To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I would appreciate any information about Pierre Descant Albert Descant Angela Descant b. Nov. 1888 ???Descant (female) ???Descant (female) M.D. Descant Who were their parent and descendents? Brian/Tammy Pearson pearsonb@datastar.net ====================================================================== Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Census Lookups Date: 98-06-18 22:39:58 EDT From: WomenFly2@AOL.COM Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Hi. I am new to the Rapides rootsweb list. I am researching the SCROGGS family in Louisiana. I would like to make contact with anyone else who may be researching them. Would anyone on this list be able to do a volunteer lookup for Rapides and Avoyelles Parish Census? I have indexed page numbers. If you could refer me to someone I would be most appreciative. Below are listed the requests that I am looking for. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Linda Peckham Scroggs (aka: WomenFly2@aol.com) ************************************ William Scroggs 1820 Census, Avoyelles County, Louisiana, Locality: Avoyelles Island, Roll # 21, Page # 81. 1830 Census, Avoyelles County, Louisiana, Roll # 44, Page # 212. 1840 Census, Avoyelles County, Louisiana, Roll # 128, Page # 282. 1850 Census, Avoyelles County, Louisiana, Roll # 229, Page # 145 ******************** John Scroggs 1860 Census, Avoyelles, Locality: Marksville P.O., Roll # 407, Page # 414 ********************** Louisiana Scroggs 1860 Census, Rapides, Locality: Alexandria P.O., Roll # 423, Page # 82 Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Alexandria Daily Town Talk query Date: 98-07-04 11:56:39 EDT From: pearsonb@datastar.net (Brian Pearson) Reply-to: pearsonb@datastar.net To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I would like to know how I can get a copy of the March 17, 1983 Alexandria Daily Town Talk Centinial Edition "The Gunter Heritage" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tammy DeSoto Pearson pearsonb@datastar.net Subj: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 16:03:30 EDT From: carnahan@rice.edu (Norman F. Carnahan) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I am interested to learn of any sources of primary data (court house records, marriage records, birht certificates, etc., for Rapides Parish during the 1800's. My family ancestor is John Carnahan, who migrated from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, to Natchez, where he married Marcia Harrison. The settled first in Concordia and then in the Cotile, Lena, Cloutierville area. At first, the area was part of Natchitoches Parish, before Rapides Parish was established. My telephone call to New Orleans Vital Records told me that they do not keep any records more than 100 years old. Those are supposed to be in the LA State Archives in Baton Rouge. My telephone call to the LA State Archives (part of the Office of the Secretary of State) informed me that they only had death records, but no other records, except for some marriage records for Orleans Parish. A nice lady at the Archives told me that maybe such records were available at the parishes. I called Rapides Parish and was told that they "only have what New Orleans has". So, what became of the records for the rest of Louisiana? Have they been discarded? I certainly would like to locate some of the primary records for my Louisiana ancestors, who lived in the 1800's. Any advice? Norman Carnahan carnahan@rice.edu -------------------------- Norman F. Carnahan Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 16:35:09 EDT From: morgan@usroots.com (Morgan Edward Johnson) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I thought more records than that were in the Archives. How distressing. I can tell you, however, that the Rapides Parish Courthouse was burned in 1863 or 64. There are no marriage records before that date. Morgan Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 16:59:16 EDT From: jmoore@marshill.com (Joyce Moore) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I have obtained records in the past from La. I know that I have land records, and others have obtained records that show when the person came to La., their application for the land, ie swearing they had been in Texas in 1832 & 33 but had not become Catholic or given up their American citizenship. This was for Natchitous Parrish (?) . I hope they are still available because I was going to order some more of them. I know that Rapides Parrish does not have any records because I have been there looking and the whole town was burned to the ground by the Union forces during the Civil War. Let everyone know if you find the answer. Joyce Moore Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 20:33:42 EDT From: PEhlers531@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Depending on when your Carnahan's arrived in LA. you might check the Natchitoches Parish Records. If they were Catholic, check the records at the old Catholic Church in downtown Natchitoches. Also, the Watson Library at N.S.U. in Natchitoches is suppose to have a lot of early Natchitoches history. One of my husband's ancestors, Robert W. Lawson married a Rosa Carnahan in Natchitoches ca. 1836. She died and he came into the Elmer area where he married 2 Rougeau sisters (not at the same time). Hope this helps Phyllis Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 22:31:19 EDT From: carnahan@rice.edu (Norman F. Carnahan) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Dear Phylllis, Rosanna Carnahan was the daughter of my progenitor, John Carnahan and Marcia Harrison Carnahan. John was born in 1779, in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. He left Pennsylvania and went south. In 1808 he married Marcia (Mercy) Harrison, in Adams County, Mississippi Territory. They migrated to the Red River area in about 1810. John, like many able bodied men of that time, answered the "call to arms" and help Andrew Jackson before and during the Battle of New Orleans, in 1815. Rosanna was one of their daughters. My records show her birthdate to be February 14, 1814. She died on August 12, 1853. Her husband is listed as Robert W. Lawson, but I do not have any information about him nor about any children they may have had. If you have such data, it would be appreciated muchly. I really am dismayed about the loss of records. Apparently, the records lost were not only those Rapides records which were burnt in the Union Army firning of the court house. The records, since then, up until 1898 have been "lost" by the system. NOLA only has records back 100 years. Records for 1880, for example, seem to be "lost". The Archivews claim that they do not have them. NOLA does no have them. Rapides Parish does not have them. Each year, the situation will get worse, as other records fall into the :more than 100 years old trap". I have many relatives whose birth records would fall into the time span between 1865 to 1898. I was hoping to find their birth certificate information, marriage records, etc. No luck, so far. The fireworks are beginning, here in Houston. Happy 4th! Norman Subj: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 23:21:56 EDT From: carnahan@rice.edu (Norman F. Carnahan) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com OK Gang, In lieue of finding primary records abouts births and marriages, it would also be of very much interest to find out what is known about the Carnahans who settled in what is now Rapides Parish in about 1810 and continue to be there. The first of the line was John Carnahan and his wife, Marcia (Mercy) Harrison Carnahan. They had many children, including Adam, John, William Franklin, Rosanna, and others. Any information will be of much interest. I have read the books by Mrs. Barber, "Historic Cotile" and "Above the Falls". They are a great history of the area. Unfortunately, the books did not have space for a complete history of the Carnahan family. Are there any other resources, such as cousins who have family records? I am especially interested in my line, which stems from William Franklin Carnahan (b. abt 1818), through his son, Samuel Bogle Carnahan (b. abt 1863), to my grandfather, Franklin Frederick Carnahan (b. July 12, 1888). Thanks, Norman Carnahan Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 23:45:56 EDT From: lynn.bill.king@pdq.net (Lynn & Bill King) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To Buddy Roberts, I, also, am from the Alexandria-Pineville area. Graduated from Bolton in 1953 and from Louisiana College in 1960. Have two brothers still living in Pineville. When were you there ? I am searching for my gr gr grandfather's Civil War military record. Have some info. My mission is to qualify for SCV. Believe my ancestor was in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, Company E. Have obtained his service record from Little Rock archives. However, his age (18) at time of enlistment at Chapagnolle, Union County, AR in June 1861 does not confirm with his census record indicated date of birth of 1816. His name was JOHN T. KING, born 1816 in Darlington District, SC. How accurate were the ages shown on military history enrollment cards ? The John T. King of Company E went from Pvt to Sgt and was parolled at Appomattox in 1865. Only 16 of about 100 enlisted at Chapagnolle were there to be parolled at Appomattox. That group really saw some fighting, according to what I have read. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Believe that I might qualify for SCV from 'collateral' ancestors. However, I would prefer to qualify from a 'direct ancestor'. What do you think? Bill King of Houston But of Arkansas Roots Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-04 23:54:00 EDT From: lost@lightspeed.net (linda ost) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Hi Norman: Just ondering if by chance the books that you mention contain any reference to the Savage family of Chaneyville, LA? Thanks, Linda Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 00:13:59 EDT From: TreSearch3@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Pray Tell, How could the records of pre-1864 Rapides Parish be safe and sound in the Louisiana State Archives, when Louisiana was the last State in the Continental U.S. to authorize building one, in the 1970's ! Houston in Louisiana Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 00:35:16 EDT From: jmoore@marshill.com (Joyce Moore) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I have land records from La., Rapides Parish. These date back to early La. when some of my ancestors, the Wileys, claimed land about 1808 and on. I looked in Grass Roots and got the numbers of the land records and ordered them. All of the records do not have to be in the county. These were State Records. I have ordered them and I have them. There were 6 land records listed for them but I only ordered one of them. Other records were sent to me by a fellow researcher. Many early La. records are to be found in Grass Roots & the American States papers. Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 00:50:24 EDT From: budroberts@softek.net (Bud) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Bill, The records that you have will qualify you for the SCV. After that you can research a lot of units, then or now by going to http://scv.org I was born in Alex. in 1934. I also went to Bolton High School , left in 1951 to enlist in the servive. I have three sisters that still live in Alex along with an awful lot of offsprings. All my best Buddy http://www.softek.net/thebuddt Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 01:18:04 EDT From: TreSearch3@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Right, Land Records - Are housed in the State Land Office. Perhaps the State Archives has microfilmed copies, as does the State Library. But so does the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah; the people that took the initiative to undertake that extensive project. You can also order Louisiana Land Records from the U.S. Land Office. But much of these are Claims made on land "owned" prior to the Louisiana Purchase, 20 Dec 1803. Many were purchases or settlements made after that date, but as long as you could get people to testify that this person was present before that date, the Land Commission usually allowed such Claims. Other records that can be had are purchases made from the State of Louisiana or the U.S. Land Office. Also, Homestead, Military Bounty Land Warrants, etc. But, the point is ... the everyday recordances done in the courthouse are gone ! Along with all other judical records generated on the local level. Houston in Louisiana Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Parish Records Confusion Date: 98-07-05 01:28:19 EDT From: graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Both the State and federal government issued land patents for their lands in Louisiana. The state grants and patents were and are maintained in the State Land Office in Baton Rouge. Ultimately, the federal government turned its records for Louisiana transactions over to the State Land Office also. Once land became owned by a private individual, any further transactions concerning that property were then recorded in the courthouse for the Parish in which the property was located. These transactions WERE NOT recorded with the State. The Parish courthouse, therefore, was the depository for land records (after the original sale, patent and etc....); successions; marriages, and criminal and civil lawsuits. Regardless of how much of Alexandria was burned by the Yankees, the courthouse was definately burned. Therefore, all of those records, unless individuals had copies which they later refiled, were lost. As for birth and death records, Louisiana was surely not the only state which did not begin to keep such records until the 1910 - 1920 period. The LSU at Alexadria library and the Rapides Parish library does have microfilmed copies of the Alexandria Town Talk from the 1800's ( as well as some other local papers). Also, as mentioned, many of our colonial period records and the American papers have been microfilmed. Civil War service records can be obtained from the State Archives. Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Parish Records Confusion Date: 98-07-05 08:57:13 EDT From: LaFamTree@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Here is a list of a few things that I have found to help me out with my research in Louisiana. Hiope someone will find this useful. For those of you who do not have it, here is the site for the Bureau of Land Managment. They have a viewer you can down load and also print off the land record for your ancestors. Bureau of Land Management - Eastern States Home Here is the site for the Louisiana Gen Web Archives with the Civil War Pension files. You can locate your ancestor and then print out the form and order the records from the State. USGenWeb - Louisiana Archives Microfilm of the Rapides Newspapers is an excellent source of obtaining informtion on ones ancestors and the history of the period you reseach in. Find the nearest Family History Center near where you live and go take a look at what they have in holdings at Salt Lake City. You can get the local FHS to order the microfilm that you want to search through. They have been a great help to me as I live in Nashville and do research in Louisiana. You might be suprised at how much they do have on microfilm. And also check out the parish pages and the archives on the Louisiana Gen Web. Some great people have put a lot of free work and free time into helping build these pages. I just wished we had more people to submit files so there would me more for everyone to reasearch from. Hope these links might help someone out. Gaytha Thompson Nashville TN List owner for Grant & Natchitoches Parish LaGenWeb Archvies file manager for Rapides, Grant, DeSoto, Bienville, Caddo, Bossier and the Louisiana Family Group Sheet Project for Louisiana. Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 09:55:55 EDT From: donstevens@chrysalis.org (Don Stevens) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Hi, Do you by chance remember a article in the NO Times Pic, regarding the Mt. Olivate Church in Pineville during the yankee 'invasion'? My ancestor, John WALKER and some others had a small battle there. I just barely remember and been unable to find it again. don (granmother's house across the street) Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 10:02:31 EDT From: donstevens@chrysalis.org (Don Stevens) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Hi The last line in your msg, -Houston in Louisiana, Are you working on the Houston line? don Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 12:30:00 EDT From: LibbyeW@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I also am looking for WILEY ancestry. What area parish did you locate records regarding WILEY. The names I am looking for include Montillian Wiley and Napoleon Wiley. They eventually settled in Catahoula Parish. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Libbye Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 13:08:38 EDT From: TreSearch3@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Thanks Everyone For Your Input Regarding Rapides Parish records. This became almost a Chat Room and I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's comments. It makes for a healthy relationship to share what we know, heard or otherwise and get the other side of the coin in agreement or rebuttal. Houston in Louisiana Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 13:34:32 EDT From: carnahan@rice.edu (Norman F. Carnahan) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I second that motion, Houston. It has been a lively exchange and one which has stimulated and informed. That is always a good thing, from my point of view, as a teacher. Nonetheless, I remain very interested ion learning all that I can about the Carnahan family in Louisiana. A lot of the infomration is for Rapides Parish, especially during the first generations. Tell me, though, since Rapides Parish was formed from Natchitoches Parish, should I look in Natchitoches Parish for information between 1810 and the year when Rapides Parish was formed? I am not sure how the records were divided, or if they were divided, when the new Parish (covering the same land area) was formed. Norman Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 14:27:14 EDT From: TreSearch3@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Norman, More misinformation ! Rapides was not formed from Natchitoches, unless you are referring to the establishment of the Rapide Post in 1767(The year Layssard received his commission to establish the post and tend to the needs of the Indians, then only a Lieutenant) There was no "s", as rapide "is" the plural of rapids. The "s" was added by the "new" American settlers, there were many already there as early as 1788. Rapides County and Natchitoches County (Louisiana had counties and parishes during the Territorial period 1804-1812) at least by U.S. jurisdictional standards, were formed in 1805. Rapides included the parishes of Catahoula and Avoyelles, formed in 1808 (also the areas formed much later, parts of Winn 1852, All of Grant 1869 (courthouse and records burned 1873) and LaSalle 1910) As in any area of the country, people did their business in the location easiest to reach, due to the mode of transportation of the day. So, you will find some transactions, but certainly not all, in Natchitoches Parish. ie: Marriage of Robert W. LAWSON to Rosanna CARNAHAN in 1836. As I had told you in an earlier, private e-mail, I have been compiling some of the "lost" Rapides records from other sources for several years. This task is by no means of the imagination is complete, but you never know where another reference to or copy of pre-1864 Rapides records will surface. I recently wrote an article for Louisiana Roots newspaper, concerning having received Rapides records from a correspondent in Belgium. He had however, received those records from the Texas State Land Office. So, you get the idea ! No telling where they will turn up. There is also a "rumor" of some soldiers of the Union Cavalry carrying a few of the courthouse books away in their saddlebags, before the "burning". These books are purported to now be "somewhere" in Canada, location unknown. Time will tell ! Thanks Again Everyone ! Houston in Louisiana The Rapides Parish Courthouse was burned to the ground by Union troops during the Civil War. Therefore, if you are looking for anything prior to the Civil War, it might be tough. But, there is light at the end of the tunnel - the Central Louisiana Genealogical Society has an excellent library and, perhaps, they can help. The society may be contacted at: Central Louisiana Genealogical Society P. O. Box 12206 Alexandria, LA 71315-2206 Hope this helps! Chuck Jackson St. Louis, MO Hi Bill! I believe you may find the birthdate on the military records are not accurate. The military in those days would record whatever was told to them without substantiating the dates. I was able to join the SCV using my g-grandfather's military records and through my genealogical work. My g-grandfather's birthdate on the military records does not coincide with his "real" birthdate, yet everything else fit. That's allowable in joining SCV. Hope this helps! You ole Bolton classmate, Charles Jackson Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 15:41:08 EDT From: lynn.bill.king@pdq.net (Lynn & Bill King) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Chuck Jackson, By the way, spoke to Teeter Berlin Pate (she works for BBB in Alex), who indicated that there might be growing interest in having Class of 1953 reunion this next year (1999) at Bolton. Suggest you email her a word of encouragement and lets make it happen. Her address is: Teeter also told me of the death of Marvin Caplan, unexpectedly, last year. Marvin was a 'class' guy ! Keep in touch. Lynn Bagley & Bill King Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 17:13:21 EDT From: jmoore@marshill.com (Joyce Moore) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com My Wiley ancestors were in Rapides Parrish and Natchitoches Parrish. I do not recognize those names. Mine were William, Samuel, Stephen, Edward and Cornelius. Some of them were with the Tylers and came from Arkansas and some of them came from New York. The ones in Natchitoches came from Arkansas, Samuel and probably Stephen, but William, John, and Edward came to Rapides Parrish about 1802 from New York before it was a parrish. I got a lot of info on the Wileys from the American States Papers. They have a lot of info about the early settlers, who swore they saw them occupy the land and raise crops for two years, etc. Joyce LibbyeW@aol.com wrote: Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re:Wiley Date: 98-07-05 21:03:52 EDT From: LibbyeW@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com As an additional note the WILEY information I have places them in Catahoula Parish beginning about 1900. Thanks for the information, Libbye Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 21:07:02 EDT From: LibbyeW@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com After speaking with my sister she recognized the name Cornelius. We are at a loss for sources of informtion since most of our family members with a knowledge of family history are dead, so if I will try to confirm that there is a Cornelius in our family and get any additional information. If I can do so would you be willing to share information with me. If you would like to do so please e-mail me privately if you would prefer. Libbye Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Taylor/Arnold Family and Irving Family Date: 98-07-05 21:40:41 EDT From: JohnR25442@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Hi Y'all, I'm researching the family of John Calvin Arnold and Martha Jane Taylor who migrated to Rapides Parish shortly after the "Confederate War" from Lincoln Co. Tennessee, possibly via Taylorsville, Miss. Is anyone else interested in this family? Did Martha's father, James Taylor come to Rapides Parish with his daughter's family? I'm also researching John Jacob Irving's family. He migrated to Rapides Parish (Alexandria) from Scotland. I am looking forward to exchanging information. Thanks, Alma Reed at JohnR25442@aol.com Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-05 22:58:00 EDT From: Pugthree@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Joyce: Do you ahve Frank Wiley in your tree. He married a cousin of mine, Caroline Hall and I would like to know who her parents were. They lived out near Slagle many years and I just can't remember. Thanks Faye Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-06 11:44:05 EDT From: jmoore@marshill.com (Joyce Moore) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Faye, sorry but I do not know of any Wiley by that name. My particular bunch went to Texas about 1854 but I know that a bunch of them stayed in Rapides Parrish. Joyce Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-07 09:34:24 EDT From: donstevens@chrysalis.org (Don Stevens) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com In the book 'Once Upon A River', by Elaine Brister-(history of Pineville) they mention a William WILEY, as living on Haines Creek to Parish line Might help don Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-07 13:59:32 EDT From: jmoore@marshill.com (Joyce Moore) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Thanks for the info about William Wiley. My Wileys lived in Pineville and we assume Wm. was the father of my Samuel because henamed his only son William. He was married to Rebecca Tyler, probably daughter of James Tyler. Joyce Moore Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-07 20:37:04 EDT From: lawrence@datasync.com (Harold L Lawrence) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com As I understand it, Louisiana did not begin requiring and recording birth records until 1918 when the constitution was rewritten and done in English in place of the French. harold >I really am dismayed about the loss of records. Apparently, the records >lost were not only those Rapides records which were burnt in the Union Army >firning of the court house. The records, since then, up until 1898 have >been "lost" by the system. NOLA only has records back 100 years. Records >for 1880, for example, seem to be "lost". The Archivews claim that they do >not have them. NOLA does no have them. Rapides Parish does not have them. > Each year, the situation will get worse, as other records fall into the >:more than 100 years old trap". I have many relatives whose birth records >would fall into the time span between 1865 to 1898. I was hoping to find >their birth certificate information, marriage records, etc. No luck, so far. > Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-07 20:38:33 EDT From: graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Apparently there is more misinformation about what records are contained within the Rapides Parish Courthouse. Over the past couple of years, I have persoanlly obtained succession and marriage records from the courthouse as far back as 1869. In my research throughout Southern states, I have not run across any who maintained birth certificates back in the early or mid 1800's. Additionally, our State Constitution was amended in the 1920's and again in 1974. During the 1920's it was already in English. English has been used by the State government since statehood. Our Civil Code, however, and many Parish notorial acts continued to be written in French due to that being the language of the people of that particular area. For example, I have not been able to locate birth or death certificates for the 1800's in Texas, Ga., MS., or AL. So NO, Louisiana, like most states has no birth certificates from that time period................. Also, the Office of Vital Statistics in N.O. keeps death certificates for 70 years, and then sends them on to the State Archives in Baton Rouge. There is a lag or delay in their actually being boxed, shipped and inventoried by the Archives staff. Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: Unidentified subject! Date: 98-07-07 21:37:54 EDT From: delaney@mcia.com Reply-to: delaney@mcia.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Don, In the book you mention about Pineville LA, it there any mention of the surname Delaney or of Barnabas Higgins (my g-g-grandmother, Elizabeth Zeagler Delaney married him in 1848 in Caldwell Parish. My grandfather, King David Delaney, was born Alexandria or nearby, maybe Pineville. He was Elizabeth's grandson. Thanks. Sharon Delaney Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] NO Times Pic. Date: 98-07-08 13:53:15 EDT From: lawrence@datasync.com (Harold L Lawrence) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com The Mt/ Olivet Episcopal Chapel & Cemetery is located on Main Street in Pineville, La. A sign in front of the chapel reads as follows: "Oldest structure in Pineville, completed in 1857. At one time during the Civil War it served as barracks for the Federals. Mt. Olivet now serves as a Chapel of the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana. Erected by Pineville Jaycees, 1971". Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Holloway Prairie, LA. Date: 98-07-21 19:25:48 EDT From: graay@linknet.net (Greg Aymond) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com Looking for any info. on the ancestors, spouses and descendants of John and James HOLLOWAY, who settled in that area of Rapides Parish, LA. known as Holloway Prarie. They first obtained land there by 1796. On the same day in 1811, they claimed additional lands. According to the American papers, John had been a Pvt. in the 9th Penn. Rgt. during the Revolutionary War, and James had been a Lt. in the Va. Line. James's known daughter was Mary, who married Michael Paul of Deville. Two of John's known children were Thomas and Mary Julia (who married Henry Harmon and moved to Catahoula Parish, LA.). Other children (but unknown as to which) were George and Lewis. Thomas may have moved to Avoyelles Parish after the Civil War. As all courthouse records were burned by the Yankees, any information would be most appreciated........ Subj: Re: [LARAPIDE-L] Holloway Prairie, LA. Date: 98-07-22 00:25:47 EDT From: MAMB43@aol.com Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I do not know if this will help, as I have just received a copy of Zachariah Martin 2 1790-1873 by Millard F. Martin, Sr. Published 1976, in it, and I am disappointed, because I also would like to know more about the Holloways this is what I have found. Seleta Holloway born in Alexandria La. January 8. 1812.. Parents names not given or not known, I think they were not known because it is a very detailed book, with records, and, etc., of all facts known. Many backup records Rapids Parish La. She married Robert Martin Nov, 23 1830 in Rapids Parish La. they moved to Texas and died there.. In reading on I find A. John and Polly Martin who were twins, Polly it is said to have married Stephen Holloway of Rapids Parish La. who was a brother to Seleta Holloway also it goes on to say her record has not been able to be found because they were reported to have moved into East Texas and the author of the book could not locate a contact on them. These twins were born 1818. There is a page devoted to Brand sheets reflecting the brands of one John Martin son of Zachariah Martin 2 , John registered a brand for each of his sons all brands are Martin or SOMEONE marrying into the line, he states that the Court house at Refugio is loaded with records of our ancestors, in these brands are one he registered for J. S Holloway 9-20-1853. This would have been the Holloway who married Polly Martin daughter of John. These were the people who all started out in La. and are decedents of Zachariah Martin 2 Robert Martin and Seleta Holloway moved to Texas in 1847 from Rapides Parish La. all their children were born in La. but 5. And they had 14. I hope I have been some help to you and not confused you if something I have told you is unclear let me know and i will try to help clear it up. Mamie Subj: [LARAPIDE-L] Re: [HOFFMAN-L] John Human in Johnson Co. TX Date: 98-07-22 23:11:12 EDT From: lawrence@datasync.com (Harold L Lawrence) Reply-to: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com To: LARAPIDE-L@rootsweb.com I have an Elizabeth HOFFMAN Escoffie Lawrence b. abt 1813 Rapides Parish, La., d. 15 Jan 1866 at Rapides Parish, Pineville, La. F&M: Adam Hoffman3 m. Margeuerite Deville b. abt 1784 Rapides Parish, La. Adam Hoffman2 m.14 Jan 1782 Louise La Prairie & Michel Deville & Marguerite Katzenberg Adam Hoffman1 of Virginia @ Barbara ? & Johann Katzenberg m. Marie Ann Durocer