History of Wright County Minnesota, Chapter XX POSTAL HISTORY--Pages 637, 645-648 ========================================================================= USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. If you have found this file through a source other than the MNArchives Table Of Contents you can find other Minnesota related Archives at: http://www.usgwarchives.net/mn/mnfiles.htm Please note the county and type of file at the top of this page to find the submitter information or other files for this county. Made available to The USGenWeb Archives by: Rebecca B Frank ========================================================================= Clearwater, Silver Creek and Corinna Excerpts from : Curtiss-Wedge, Franklin. History of Wright County Minnesota. Volume II. Chicago: H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co. 1915. Call Number:977.6C94h Chapter XX POSTAL HISTORY Page 637 Clearwater. When the postoffice was established in 1855, Simon Stevens was commissioned postmaster. In 1858 he was succeeded by W. W. Webster, who in 1861 was followed by J. M. Brown. Following him came in turn H. L. Gordon, J. A. Stanton, J. E. Firte, Jed F. Fuller, Simon Stevens, W.W. Webster and W. T. Rigby. All records were burned while Mr. Rigby was postmaster. S. McC. Phillips followed Mr. Rigby taking the office in November , 1896. After his death, June 1, 1903, he was succeeded by his daughter, Jennie L. Phillips, who early in this year (1915) has been re-appointed under the Civil service law of May, 1913. She is assisted by her sister, Agnes V. Phillips, and the office is kept in their drug store in the center of the village. Rural routes 1 and 2, were established February 15, 1904, with Sherman W. Shattuck and Fred Murray as the respective carriers. Rural Route 3 was established September 1, 1905, with Samuel B. Kirk as carrier. There have been no changes in carriers since the office was established. IN the early nineties the postal authorities shortened the name from Clear Water to Clearwater. Page 645-648 (as related to Clearwater area) DISCONTINUED POST OFFICES. Bianca. Bianca postoffice was established in the late fifties in Silver Creek township. Rev. Moses Goodrich was the postmaster Corinna. Postoffice was established on section 18, Corinnatownship, in 1868, with M. S. Harriman as postmaster. In 1878, William Ponsford was appointed postmaster, and the office was removed to his residence on Section 17. Silver Creek. Silver Creek postoffice was established in 1856, with a A. G. Descent as postmaster. The office continued in operation until December 1, 1906, when it was discontinued into the Maple Lake postoffice. The last postmaster was Jessie M. Ives, who succeeded J. H. Whitney. Ypsilanti. postoffice was established in 1860, in Silver Creek township with Joseph Brooks as postmaster.