BIOGRAPHIES: Giles H. WILSIE, Cumberland, Barron Co., WI ************************************************************************ USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access. Submitted by: Vic Gulickson 03 January 2004 ************************************************************************ Giles H. Wilsie, manager and part owner of the Liberty Lumber Co., Cumberland, was born in Grand Meadow, Minn., Aug. 9, 1879, son of Munson 0. and Mary (Hall) Wilsie, natives respectively of Vermont and New York, who upon coming west settled first in Wisconsin, and next in Winona County, Minnesota, where they were pioneers, going thence to Rushford, Minn., where he engaged in the lumber business; thence to Grand Meadow, Minn,, and thence to Troy, Mont., where the father now lives, and where the mother died Oct. 24, 1919. Giles H. was educated in the graded and high schools of his native village. For seven months in 1898, during the Spanish-American War, he trained in camp with Co. G 12th Minnesota Infantry. With this exception he remained with his parents until 1901, when he went to Spring Valley, Minn., where he was employed at the lumber business for two years. He went to Crookston, Minn., in 1903 as sorter and car checker for the Crookston Lumber Co. From there in 1906 he went to Cayuga, N. D., where he was employed in the lumber business for ten years. He came to Cumberland as manager of the Liberty Lumber Co., in February, 1917. He has built up a good trade and has the confidence of the people with whom he does business, his long experience in the lumber business having made him a thorough master of its various phases. He is third owner, as well as manager of the concern. Fraternally he is a member of Cumberland lodge, No. 2210, A. F. & A. M.; Rice Lake Chapter, No. 67, R. A. M., and of Cumberland lodge, No. 62, Knights of Pythias. He has a pleasant residence in the city, and is interested in several local concerns. Mr. Wilsie was married June 15, 1903, to Bertha Kumm, born in Spring Valley, Dec. 3, 1879, daughter of Fred and Minnie (Rhode) Kumm, who still reside in Spring Valley, Mr. Kumm being a retired blacksmith and wagon maker. Mr. and Mrs. Wilsie have two children: Fred K. born March 19, 1904, and Fay E., born July 31, 1913. The family faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal Church. --Transcribed from: History of Barron Co., Wisconsin, H. C. Cooper, Jr., & Co., 1922, pg. 284. © All rights reserved. http://www.usgwarchives.net/copyright.htm